WASHINGTON, Aug. 8 (Xinhua) -- U.S. federal authorities on Thursday indicted two Kazakh students for aiding and abetting the Boston Marathon bombing suspect whom they befriended, the next step in bring them to trial.
Dias Kadyrbayev and Azamat Tazhayakov, both 19, were also indicted by a federal grand jury of "conspiracy to obstruct justice" and "obstructing justice with intent to impede the Boston Marathon bombing investigation," said the U.S. Attorney 's office for Massachusetts.
If convicted, they face up to 20 years in prison on the obstruction of justice count and up to five years in prison on the conspiracy count, as well as a fine of 250,000 dollars. Both also face the possibility of being deported.
Kadyrbayev and Tazhayakov were detained and originally charged in May for conspiracy to obstruct justice. They are now also accused of obstructing justice and aiding and abetting.
Prosecutors alleged that the two young men and another conspirator worked together on April 18 to retrieve accused bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's laptop computer and backpack containing fireworks from his dormitory room.
Prosecutors said that after discussing what to do, the pair put the backpack in a garbage bag and placed it in a dumpster.
The next morning, after Dzhokhar was identified as one of the bomibing suspects, Kadyrbayev and Tazhayakov watched as a garbage truck came to their apartment complex and emptied the contents.
The FBI later found the backpack in a landfill in New Bedford, Massachusetts, where the two men were living on student visas.
The FBI identified two brothers, 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev and 19-year-old Dzhokar Tsarnaev, as suspects behind the Boston bombings which killed three and wounded over 200 in April.
Tamerlan died after a shootout with the police four days after the bombing while Dzhokar was apprehended in a suburb of Boston following massive manhunt by law enforcement authorities.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev made his first public appearance in court in July and pleaded not guilty to 30 charges for his alleged role in the Boston Marathon bombings.
WASHINGTON, July 10 (Xinhua) -- Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev made his first public appearance in court Wednesday and pleaded not guilty to 30 charges for his alleged role in the tragedy that killed three and hurt over 200 others in April, U.S. media reported.
Tsarnaev, 19, entered his plea on Wednesday in a U.S. federal court in the city of Boston, where the twin bombings on April 15 claimed three lives and injured more than 200 people. Full story
WASHINGTON, June 27 (Xinhua) -- A federal grand jury on Thursday returned a 30-count indictment against Dzhokhar Tsarnaev for his alleged role in using weapons of mass destruction at the Boston Marathon to kill three individuals and maim or seriously injure many others, as well as for using a firearm to intentionally kill Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Police officer Sean Collier, the U.S. Justice Department said.
The Justice Department announced in a statement that the 19- year-old Tsarnaev was indicted with the use of a weapon of mass destruction resulting in death and conspiracy, bombing of a place of public use resulting in death and conspiracy and other charges. Full story
WASHINGTON, April 26 (Xinhua) -- The wounded suspect of Boston Marathon Bombing has been transferred from a hospital to a prison hospital, the U.S. Marshals Service said Friday.
According to U.S. Marshals Service spokesman Drew Wade, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the 19-year-old bombing suspect, had been transferred from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center to Federal Medical Center Devens. Full story