CAIRO, July 2 (Xinhua) -- Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi on Tuesday night asked the military to withdraw its 48-hour ultimatum announced a day ago, and said via his Twitter account he would stick to "constitutional legitimacy."
"(He) calls on the armed forces to withdraw their warning and rejects any to be dictated to internally or externally," according to a tweet on Morsi's official Twitter page.
Morsi's persistence came after seven people were killed and over 180 injured earlier on Tuesday in clashes between his supporters and opponents across Egypt.
On Monday, the Egyptian military set a 48-hour deadline for all parties to resolve their conflict before imposing a military- supervised roadmap for the future of the turmoil-stricken country.
Hailed by anti-Morsi protesters as well as the main opposition bloc, National Salvation Front (NSF), the military's statement was interpreted as a response to the protesters' demand of ousting Islamist-oriented President Morsi.
However, on Tuesday, the presidency said the statement might " add confusion to the already complicated scene," vowing to continue its own plan "for comprehensive national reconciliation" to resolve the political division.
Also on Tuesday, Morsi met with Defense Minister Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi and Prime Minister Hesham Qandil to discuss the recent developments, official news agency MENA reported.
Following the president's latest tweet, Hamdeen Sabahi, a prominent leader of the NSF, reiterated his wish for Morsi to respond to people's will and leave.
The president should prevent the shedding of blood of Egyptians and announce his resignation, Sabahi said.