Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: Turkey  Syria   Israel   Iran   Chavez   

At least 5,000 killed in flood in N. India: official

English.news.cn   2013-06-24 02:57:11            

Photo: India evacuates 70,000 people from flood-ravaged areas

NEW DELHI, June 23 (Xinhua) -- At least 5,000 people have been killed by flash flood in the northern Indian state of Uttarakhand last week, said a government official on Sunday.

"At least 5,000 people must have been killed in the deluge that inflicted heavy damage on vast tracts of land especially in Kedarnath valley," disaster management minister Yashpal Arya told the media.

Rescuers and the military have rescued all the pilgrims stranded in the Kedarnath valley, Hindu the temple town which was the epicenter of the flood, described as Himalayan tsunami, which took by surprise local people and authorities last week.

The meteorological department has warned of more rains in the region from Monday. Some 19,000 people still remained stranded in three areas of the state, said Press Trust of India.

Related:

22,000 still stranded as bad weather hampers rescue operations in flood-hit northern Indian

NEW DELHI, June 23 (Xinhua) -- Rescue operations in the flood- hit northern Indian state of Uttarakhand have been halted due to bad weather, with about 22,000 people still stranded in various places, authorities said Sunday.Full story

Bad weather halts rescue operations in flood-hit northern India

NEW DELHI, June 23 (Xinhua) -- Indian authorities Sunday said that rescue operations have been halted in the flood-hit northern Indian state of Uttarakhand due to bad weather, even though more than 22,000 people are still stranded in various places.

"Helicopters, pilots, food packages everything is ready, but we can't fly because of bad weather. We may get a window of opportunity for an hour or two to fly, will try to save as many as possible," Wing Commander RC Pathak of the Indian Air Force told the media. Full story

70,000 evacuated from flood-ravaged Indian state, death toll rises to 680

NEW DELHI, June 22 (Xinhua) -- Indian authorities have evacuated a total of 70,000 people from flood-ravaged areas in the northern state of Uttarakhand while 22,000 remained stranded and official death toll attained 680, officials said Saturday.

Over 10,000 people were evacuated on Saturday from various upper reaches of flood-ravaged Uttarakhand, including the worst- affected Kedarnath, the Press Trust of India quoted officials as saying.Full story

Indian gov't intensifies rescue, relief operation in flood-ravaged northern state

NEW DELHI, June 20 (Xinhua) -- Indian government Thursday intensified rescue and relief operations in the northern state of Uttarakhand, where hundreds are believed to have been killed by a massive flooding caused by an early monsoon, said government officials.

Hundreds of pilgrims were evacuated by choppers from a 1,000- year-old old Hindu holy site, the Kedarnath town.Full story

Editor: Wang Yuanyuan
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top World News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011100001324794571