|

|
| An ambulance and armored car sit at the scene of the explosion which killed three people in Boston, the United States, April 15, 2013. The two explosions that rocked the Boston Marathon on Monday has killed three people and injured at least 138, officials and media outlets said. (Xinhua/Marcus DiPaola) |
BOSTON, the United States, April 15 (Xinhua) -- The two explosions that rocked the Boston Marathon on Monday has killed three people and injured at least 138, officials and media outlets said.
Local police said the death toll has risen to three, including an 8-year-old boy, according to CNN. At least 17 injured were in critical condition and 10 need to carry out amputations.
The twin explosions happened at around 3 p.m. local time (1900 GMT) and went off within seconds of each other near the Boston Marathon finish line. Many of the injured appeared to be spectators who had gathered at the scene, local media WCVB.com reported.
A FBI official told a press conference in Boston that a criminal investigation has been launched, which has a potential to be a terrorist probe.
Related:
Triple explosions rock Boston, triggering fears of terror in U.S.
WASHINGTON/BOSTON, April 15 (Xinhua) -- Three explosions rocked the U.S. city of Boston on Monday afternoon, killing two and injuring over 100, turning the traditional local marathon festivity into a scene of blood and terror.
While President Barack Obama remained cautious and avoided calling the blasts a terror attack, some U.S. media and experts already started to use the phrase of "terrorist bombings." Full story
Explosions turn Boston Marathon into horrific tragedy
BOSTON, April 15 (Xinhua) -- Two explosions struck the Boston Marathon Monday, turning a festive game on Patriots' Day, a state holiday in Massachusetts, into a horrific tragedy.
The runners were crossing the finish line when a powerful blast occurred behind spectators and a row of flags, sending a cloud of smoke almost 15 meters into the air. Full story
Obama says to hold whoever behind Boston explosions accountable
WASHINGTON, April 15 (Xinhua) -- President Barack Obama said here on Monday that the U.S. government has not yet got "all answers" about the explosions that rocked Boston, Massachusetts earlier in the day, but vowed to hold anyone behind them accountable.
In a live televised statement from the White House, Obama acknowledged that his government still did not know "who did this or why." Full story