KABUL, March 20 (Xinhua) -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai and the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) commander Gen. Joseph Dunford on Wednesday agreed on a plan for phased withdrawal of coalition forces from eastern province of Wardak, the ISAF forces said.
"Gen. Joseph F. Dunford, the ISAF commander, met with President Karzai at the Palace earlier today to finalize the details on the way forward in Wardak Province," the ISAF said in a statement.
Under the agreement, beginning with Nerkh District, which is currently secured by Afghan Local Police (ALP) aided by the Coalition forces, the Afghan government will soon move Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) into this area to provide security in the province with Maidan Shar as its capital 35 km west of Kabul, the statement added.
"The arrival of the ANSF will preclude the need for ALP and Coalition forces in this area. The remainder of the province will transition over time," it said.
The statement did not disclose the exact date for the event, only saying "The timeline for moving the ANSF into Nerkh District will be determined by the Afghan Government,"
"I want to thank President Karzai for his leadership. This plan meets the President's intent and leverages the growing capacity and capability of the Afghan security forces to meet the security needs of this country. This solution is what success looks like as we continue the transition to overall Afghan security lead," Dunford said.
Late last month, the Afghan leader demanded the U.S. special forces to leave Wardak following reports that they and Afghans working for them were involved in harassing and torturing civilians.