by Mahmoud Fouly
CAIRO, March 15 (Xinhua) -- The health condition of Egyptian former President Hosni Mubarak is improving, but slowly due to his old age, Mubarak's lawyer Farid al-Deeb told Xinhua in an exclusive interview.
"Mubarak is an 85-year-old man who suffers a lot of health problems and dangerous diseases. He has three broken ribs, 50- percent blockage of the two carotids that pump blood to the brain, ventricular and atrial disorders as well as brain clots," Deeb introduced, warning that any sudden healthy crisis could claim the man's life at any time.
Deeb added that during his recent visit to Mubarak, the ousted president expressed grief over the country's current turmoil and called on Egyptians to unite and support current President Mohamed Morsi.
"When I visited him in hospital I saw him very sad and he told me he was grieved over the chaos Egypt is going through, the burning of public institutions, the escape of tourists and investors and the killing and torture among Egyptians," Deeb recounted, quoting Mubarak as saying, "I wish Egypt would restore stability, and this will not happen unless all Egyptian rally around the elected president for the sake of Egypt."
He said that Mubarak, who is currently detained at a military hospital due to the deteriorating health condition, follows up the news on TV and he gets also newspapers everyday, noting that it is the right of every prisoner to be able to watch TV and get newspapers.
Deeb praised the current Prosecutor-General Talaat Ibrahim Abdullah who ordered the transfer of Mubarak from Tora Prison Hospital to nearby Maadi Military Hospital for treatment, unlike ex-Prosecutor-General Abdel-Meguid Mahmoud who declined a similar request although he was appointed by Mubarak himself.
"Once he saw the medical report, Prosecutor Abdullah assigned a commission to examine Mubarak and then ordered his transfer to the well-equipped military hospital, so Abdullah considers the humanitarian and the legal dimensions of the case, unlike ex- prosecutor," Deeb commented.
Mubarak's transfer came after he had been wounded in his head as he slipped and fell down in a bathroom at Tora Prison Hospital.
Mubarak's lawyer expected him to be temporarily released on April 13, the day scheduled for his retrial over charges of ordering the killing of protesters in January 2011 upheaval.
"Mubarak must be released on April 13 because the two-year maximum term for his temporary detention ends on April 12," Deeb pointed out.
Cairo Appeals Court set April 13 to retry Mubarak, who was formerly sentenced to life imprisonment in the first trial over involvement in the deaths of protesters and other charges including corruption and profiteering.
"I expect Mubarak to be acquitted of all these charges, because there must be 'positive' involvement in the crime to convict him, such as giving orders for killing protesters, but Mubarak had a ' passive' role," Mubarak's lawyer contended.
With regards to leaked reports of the fact-finding commission formed by Morsi that Mubarak knew and authorized the killing of over 850 protesters during 2011 unrest, Deeb described the commission's reports as "nonsense."
"The court does not consider fact-finding reports, which are mere political games meant to wrongfully disrepute the former president and his regime," he added.
The State Security Prosecution has recently investigated claims that Mubarak and his sons lavishly used public funds for personal purposes like ornamenting the presidency headquarters.
Deeb labelled the charges as "baseless lies" and said that "the investigations of the State Security Prosecution were neither independent nor unbiased."