|Afghan men gather around the coffins of victims of suicide bombing during the funeral ceremony in Kunduz Province in north Afghanistan on March 14, 2013. Hundreds of Afghans attended a funeral ceremony held Thursday for victims of a suicide bomb attack in Kunduz which killed 11 people.(Xinhua/Rahmat)
KUNDUZ, Afghanistan, March 13 (Xinhua) -- The death toll from Wednesday's suicide bomb attack in northern Afghan province of Kunduz has risen to 11 with eight others injured, a provincial government spokesman said.
"Our latest reports said that 11 people were killed and eight were injured in suicide attack which took place in Imam Sahib district today," spokesman Hinayatullah Khaleeq told Xinhua.
The incident took place at around 5:30 p.m. local time when a bomber detonated his suicide vest among a mob watching the national game of Buzkashi, he added.
He said Shir Khan Baba, father of the speaker of Lower House of Parliament Abdul Rauf Ibrahimi, and five other civilians were among the killed.
A brother of Ibrahimi, who serves as the Imam Sahib district police chief, along with four of his bodyguards were also killed in the attack. The bomber also died in the attack in province 250 km north of Kabul.
The wounded included another brother of Ibrahimi, Asad Khan, and seven civilians, he said.
Being playing in an big area, the Buzkashi or goat grabbing is Afghanistan's national sport game in which several horse riders compete to grab the carcass of goat or calf and put it inside the circle on the playing field.
So far, no group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Taliban outfits routinely claim responsibility for such attacks.