MAIDAN SHAHR, Afghanistan, March 11 (Xinhua) -- A man wearing Afghan army uniform opened fire at a joint military base in Wardak province near Kabul on Monday, killing two U.S. soldiers and three Afghan police, a local official said.
"A man in Afghan army uniform opened fire at a joint base of U. S. and Afghan forces at around noon in Jalriz district leaving two American soldiers and three Afghan police dead," the official who declined to be identified told Xinhua.
He added that around 10 Afghan police and U.S. soldiers were injured in the incident.
A parliamentarian from Wardak province Hamida Akbari confirmed the incident. "Two American soldiers were killed in the insider attack in Wardak province today," Akbari told Xinhua.
However, she could not provide more details, saying it is difficult to establish contact with local officials there.
An official with the press office of the Nato-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) told Xinhua, "There was an incident when a man in Afghan army uniform turned his weapon on Afghan and coalition forces and there were casualties."
The spokesman of Wardak provincial administration Ataullah Khogyani told Xinhua, "The gruesome attack happened inside a joint base in Jalriz district." However, he avoided more comment, saying investigation is underway and details will be made public after completion of investigation.
It is the third insider attack or green-on-blue attack this year. The previous attacks had taken place in Helmand and Kapisa provinces which left two foreign service members dead.
KABUL, March 11 (Xinhua) -- The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) will transfer the security charges of eastern Wardak province to Afghan government forces, an ISAF spokesman said on Monday, days after the Afghan leader called on U. S. Special Forces to evict the province.
"There are plans to develop a long-term security plan in conjunction with the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) to transit Wardak in a responsible and deliberate way," spokesman Brigadier General Gunter Katz told a weekly briefing.Full story
KABUL, March 3 (Xinhua) -- Repeating mistake and killing non- combatants by the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) during operations against Taliban militants in Afghanistan would further damage the already strained relations between Afghan administration and the military alliance, local political analysts say.
In the latest of deadly mistake in Afghanistan, the NATO-led multinational peacekeeping force ISAF had reportedly killed two children during a crackdown operation against Taliban militants in the southern Uruzgan province late last month. Full story