CAIRO, Feb. 19 (Xinhua) -- Egypt's Port Said governorate witnessed Tuesday civil disobedience for a third consecutive day, as protesters there demanded appointing a new investigative judge to probe into the January clashes that killed at least 40 and injured over 1,000 outside Port Said prison and in other parts of the city.
The civil disobedience was mainly launched by families of the victims of the bloody clashes and thousands of their supporters.
Clashes erupted in January in Port Said after a court ordered death sentence for 21 defendants over the Port Said massacre, which killed more than 70 in February last year.
Also on Tuesday, a presidential statement said that Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi had decided to submit a draft law to restore the free zone in Port Said so as to ease the situation there, and to allocate over 59,000 U.S. dollars from the annual revenues of the Suez Canal to develop the three canal governorates, including Port Said, Suez and Ismailia, and provide more job opportunities.
On Jan. 27, Morsi decided to impose a 30-day curfew and a state of emergency in the three governorates which witnessed bloody confrontations between anti-government protesters and security forces.