ISLAMABAD, Feb. 13 (Xinhua) -- Pakistani Interior Minister, Rehman Malik Wednesday asked the Taliban militants to declare a 30- day cease-fire if they want dialogue with the government, local media reported.
It was the first formal government's response to the Taliban dialogue offer. Taliban's attacks have killed nearly 40,000 people including security forces, in the past 10 years.
"The government is ready to hold dialogue with Taliban provided they announce cease-fire and appoint some sincere religious scholars to achieve purposeful results," Malik told reporters in Islamabad.
"If Taliban are sincere in holding talks, they should have announced a cease-fire and formed a Jirga (council of elders), comprising some serious and thoughtful people," he said.
Taliban have not yet responded to the government's fresh proposal however they had previously rejected similar calls.
The Interior Minister said Taliban should know that people of Pakistan have seen their actual face and the nation would not forgive the crimes of killing of innocent citizens.
"The nation has rejected Talibanization. Taliban should announce cease-fire first to hold talks," he said.
Taliban spokesman, Ehsanullah Ehsan, in a video message released to the media on February 4 had proposed conditional talks with Pakistani government and had sought guarantee of three main opposition political and religious leaders, including former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
Nawaz Sharif had asked the government to immediately start talks with the Taliban. However, he had refused to become a guarantor, saying that he cannot trust the government.