|Police Chief of Los Angeles Charlie Beck (C) speaks during a news conference in Los Angeles, the Untied States, on Feb. 10, 2013. Los Angeles police Sunday announced a reward of 1 million U.S. dollars for information leading to the capture of a former officer suspected of killing three people. (Xinhua/Yang Lei)
LOS ANGELES, Feb. 10 (Xinhua) -- Los Angeles police Sunday announced a reward of one million U.S. dollars for information leading to the capture of a former officer suspected of killing three people.
Police Chief Charlie Beck and Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa announced the bounty at a news conference for finding Christopher Jordan Dorner, who was fired in 2009.
Authorities said Dorner killed a couple in Irvine and a police officer in Riverside and injured two others in a revenge campaign against police last week.
Dorner was fired after a police disciplinary board found him guilty of making false statement against his training officer, whom he accused of kicking a mentally-ill man during an arrest in 2007.
Beck said police will reopen investigation into the firing of Dorner, in a bid to put the public thinking to rest.
A statement posted on what is believed to be Dorner's Facebook page criticized racism in LAPD (Los Angeles Police Department). Media reports said police also worried he could target the Grammy award ceremony Sunday night for an attack.
A massive manhunt for Dorner began last week as police were searching from Riverside to Corona to Big Bear to Point Loma in San Diego, a large area in Southern California. They found Dorner's abandoned car Thursday in flames in Big Bear.