CAIRO, Jan. 28 (Xinhua) -- The death toll in recent clashes in Egypt's riot-stricken Port Said governorate has risen to 42, while the total number of injured people has exceeded 1,000, medics said late Monday.
Official sources said a few hours ago that the death toll was 40, but another two were just reported to have been shot dead, raising the number to 42.
"One was shot dead in his pelvis during clashes outside al-Arab police station in Port Said, while the details about the second have not been confirmed yet," Abdel-Rahman Farag, head of all Port Said hospitals, told Xinhua Monday before midnight.
Clashes erupted Saturday in Port Said after a court sentenced 21 convicts from the governorate to death over last year's soccer riots that killed 74 people, which is known among Egyptians as " the Port Said massacre."
The clashes continued Sunday during a mass funeral held in Port Said for Saturday's victims.
Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi on Sunday evening decided to impose a 30-day curfew and a state of emergency in the governorates of Port Said, Suez and Ismailia, which witnessed over the past few days bloody confrontations between anti-government protesters and security forces.
The president attributed the bloody clashes to "sinful hands" that deviated from peaceful protests and expression of opinions to armed aggression and vandalism.
"I invite leaders of political forces for a dialogue Monday afternoon," Morsi said Sunday, stressing that there was no alternative to a dialogue among the Egyptian people to overcome the ongoing crisis.
Egypt's main opposition bloc, the National Salvation Front (NSF) , announced Monday its rejection of Morsi's invitation, demanding that Morsi amend the controversial, recently-drafted constitution, form "a qualified national salvation government," sack the current prosecutor-general and subject the Muslim Brotherhood to the law as preconditions for dialogue.
The dialogue started Monday night with the absence of the NSF, while a lot of people of the three governorates fearlessly violated the curfew.
CAIRO, Jan. 28 (Xinhua) -- Although some analysts see that the current situation in Egypt requires a solution besides the national dialogue, the opposition National Salvation Front's (NSF) refusal to the president's invitation for dialogue was predicted to add to the political perplexity.
Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi announced Sunday to invite 11 parties, including Al-Dostour Party headed by NSF leader Mohamed Elbaradei, the Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party, al- Wafd Party and Strong Egypt Party, to the dialogue held on Monday. Full story
CAIRO, Jan. 27 (Xinhua) -- Egypt's President Mohamed Morsi imposed Sunday a curfew and a state of emergency in the turmoil- stricken Port Said governorate, as well as Suez and Ismailia, due to the ongoing bloody clashes there.
"I asserted earlier that if I had to, I would take any extraordinary measures to stop bloodshed, preserve security and protect the citizens," Morsi said in a televised speech Sunday evening, adding that the curfew in the three governorates would last 30 days, starting from 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. of the following day. Full story
CAIRO, Jan. 27 (Xinhua) -- A real comprehensive national dialogue with clear agenda, practical mechanisms and guarantees for implementation of its agreement could ease the tense political scene in Egypt, which was engulfed by violent clashes over the past few days.Full Story
CAIRO, Jan. 27 (Xinhua) -- At least seven were killed and 630 others injured on Sunday in Egypt's seaside city of Port Said during a funeral for the victims of Saturday's clashes between security forces and angry protesters, official Nile TV and medical sources said.Full Story
Jan. 28, 2013
Egypt's President Mohamed Morsi imposed Sunday a curfew and a state of emergency in the turmoil- stricken Port Said governorate, as well as Suez and Ismailia, due to the ongoing bloody clashes there. Full story
Jan. 27, 2013
At least seven were killed and 630 others injured on Sunday in Egypt's seaside city of Port Said during a funeral for the victims of Saturday's clashes between security forces and angry protesters, official Nile TV and medical sources said.Full story
Jan. 26, 2013
As many as 31 people were killed and 322 others injured in clashes in Egypt's Port Said over a football riot verdict that sentenced 21 people to death, according to the figure reported on Sunday.Full story
Feb. 1, 2012
The death toll of a football match riot in Egypt's Port Said rose to 74 with hundreds of others injured, state media reported on Wednesday night.Full story