UNITED NATIONS, Jan. 24 (Xinhua) -- The United Nations envoy in Iraq on Thursday strongly condemned an attack against civilians attending a funeral in a mosque in the town of Tuz Khurmato in the northern part of the Middle East country, which reportedly killed at least 42 people and injured many others.
"Such attacks aim to heighten tensions in this particularly sensitive region, and I call on all people of Iraq to resist vicious attempts to undermine their thrive for peace and stability, " the UN secretary-general's special representative and head of the UN Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), Martin Kobler, said in a news release.
According to media reports, a suicide bomber killed at least 42 people and wounded more than 100 at a funeral near a Shiite mosque in the town of Tuz Khurmato, some 175 kilometers from the Iraqi capital of Baghdad, on Wednesday. The attack reportedly wounded at least two senior Iraqi government officials.
Kobler urged all Iraqi leaders to live up to their responsibilities, including "taking all necessary measures to work without delay on defusing such an alarming situation," said the press release.
He also expressed his profound sympathy to the families of the victims, to whom he extended his sincere condolences, and wished a speedy recovery for those who were injured.
Over the past month, Kobler has repeatedly called for an end to violence directly targeting civilians, after a wave of attacks in northern Iraq targeting individuals in crowded areas and the killing of a member of Parliament who died in a terrorist attack during a demonstration in Fallujah last week.