NEW DELHI, Jan. 12 (Xinhua) -- The Indian government has urged a private entertainment channel not to telecast a show reconstructing the recent gangrape of a 23-year-old medical student allegedly by six men on a moving bus in Delhi, sources said Saturday.
"The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has advised the channel not to telecast the show as part of its popular crime series. It has issued similar advisories to other channels, urging them to be sensitive to ground realities," the sources said.
The horrific gangrape of the Delhi University student on December 16 last year shocked India and sparked massive public outcry over the rising cases of sexual assault on women in India, forcing the government to set up a judicial inquiry commission to probe into the lapses, if any, on part of the authorities and "fix responsibility".
The victim was gangraped by six men on a moving bus and then beaten up, along with her boyfriend, before being thrown off the moving vehicle in the south of the national capital. The duo had boarded the bus after watching a movie.
The girl succumbed to her injuries at a hospital in Singapore on December 29.
All the accused are currently in custody facing trial on rape and murder charges. If convicted, five of them may get a maximum death penalty. The sixth accused is a juvenile and likely to get away lightly because of separate laws for minor or under 18 years of age.