Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: Chavez   Egypt   Gaza   US Election   Syria   

Death toll of twin blasts in Quetta, Pakistan rises to 82

English.news.cn   2013-01-11 05:37:22            

by Zhang Qi, Saadia, Raheela

ISLAMABAD, Jan. 11 (Xinhua)-- At least 82 people were killed and 120 others injured in twin blasts that rocked Pakistan's southwest city of Quetta on Thursday night, according to police and hospital sources.

Mir Zubair, City Central Police Officer in Quetta, confirmed that 81 were killed and 121 got injured in the twin blasts.

Shortly after his announcement, there came a report saying another person died of serious wounds at the hospital.

According to police and local media reports, the killed include nine policemen, 25 rescue workers and two media persons.

Hospital sources said there were still dozens of injured people remaining in critical condition and the death toll may further rise.

The twin blasts took place at about 8:50 local time when a first bomb hit a snooker club located on the Alamdar Road in the city.

It was a suicide blast, said bomb disposal squad officers, adding that an estimated six to seven kg of explosives were used in the blast.

As police, rescuers and media persons rushed to the blast site, another bomb fixed in a vehicle parked nearby the site went off, causing a massive casualty among the people gathering on the first blast site.

Bomb disposal officers believed that an estimated 100 kg of explosives were used in the second bomb.

All the killed and injured have been shifted to a civil hospital and a military hospital in the city.

Local media quoted hospital and police sources as saying 62 bodies have been brought to the military hospital, ten to the civil hospital,nine bodies still remained on the blast site.

A local banned militant outfit Lashkar-e-Jhangvi has claimed responsibility for the twin bomb attacks.

Both Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf have strongly condemned the attack.

The government of Balochistan Province with Quetta as its capital has announced a three-day mourning for the victims and a compensation of two million rupees (about 20,253 US dollars) each for the killed policemen and one million rupees (about 10,126 US dollars) each for the others killed in the blast.

A local Shia Muslim organization has also announced a three-day mourning among the Shia community as it believed that the bomb attacks were targeting Shias.

Earlier on Thursday afternoon, a car bomb hit a paramilitary checkpost in the Bacha Khan area of the city, killing at least 11 people including a troop and wounding 50 others including seven paramilitary personnel.

No group claimed responsibility for the attack.

Editor: yan
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top World News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011105521320945031