NEW DELHI, Jan. 7 (Xinhua) -- Fearing that crowds at the courtroom could disrupt the hearing, a Delhi court hearing the Dec. 16 gang-rape case Monday ordered in camera proceedings in the case rather than in person, reported local media.
The court's decision came after the police said the courtroom was too crowded to guarantee safety for the five accused in the horrifying Delhi gang rape, who were brought from jail to the court in a black police van.
Though the magistrate asked the people present in the court to make space for the accused, the police said the courtroom must be completely clear.
Crowds of people were gathering outside the Saket Court complex in south Delhi demanding justice for the victim of the gang rape.
Police filed a lawsuit against the five of the six persons involved in the gang rape, accusing them of murder, rape, robbery, kidnapping, destruction of evidence and some other offenses.
The sixth person of the gang rape case, said to be a juvenile, is due to be brought to a juvenile court instead.
NEW DELHI, Jan. 7 (Xinhua) -- Five of the six persons accused in the horrifying gang rape in the Indian capital last month were produced at the Saket court in south Delhi Monday. The sixth accused, who is said to be a juvenile, will be produced before a juvenile justice board.
The six are held responsible for the death of a 23-year-old medical student who was gang raped, brutalized and mutilated on a moving bus on Dec. 16 in south Delhi. Full story
NEW DELHI, Jan. 7 (Xinhua) -- The father of the Delhi gang-rape victim Sunday denied that he allowed his daughter to be identified after a British paper revealed her name, reported local daily Hindustan Times.
The newspaper quoted him as saying that her identity should be made public only if a law was named after her. Full story