KANDAHAR, Afghanistan, Jan. 5 (Xinhua) -- Nearly 130 Afghan prisoners, who were formerly held by the NATO and U.S. forces in charges of being involved in anti-government activities, were released from Bagram prison, an official said Saturday.
"Up to 129 prisoners, who have been detained and held in Bagram prison over the last couple of years but there were no evidence to proof their involvement in the insurgency, were released and would join their families today," General Mohammad Yar Barakzai, an Afghan defense ministry official in charge of the prisons, told a ceremony here.
The NATO-led coalition forces handed over the control of the Bagram detention center to the Afghan government in March last year. Afghan President Hamid Karzai has ordered the concerned authorities to review the cases of more than 3,000 prisoners held in the detention center after the Afghan government took control of the prison.
"We are sure their release could further help the government efforts in bringing peace and will support the peace and reconciliation process in the country," Barakzai added.
The prisoners were detained in southern Kandahar and neighboring Zabul and Uruzgan provinces, he said.
More than 350 prisoners have been released from Bagram over the past couple of days.
Karzai and other leaders have repeatedly offered peace talks with the Taliban. However, the insurgent group has categorically rejected the offer, saying there will be no talks until foreign troops leave the country.
The Afghan president and his U.S. counterpart Barak Obama will hold talks in the U.S. on a security pact between the two countries later this week and would decide the number of U.S. forces to leave in the country after 2014 when majority of the U.S. and NATO forces leave the country.
Earlier Saturday, Taliban in a statement released to the local media warned that they will continue to fight with the government and foreign forces if any foreign troops stay in the country after 2014.