UNITED NATIONS, Jan. 2 (Xinhua) -- The United Nations on Wednesday called on both the Central African Republic (CAR) government and rebels to halt violence and resolve the current crisis through dialogue.
"We continue to follow the situation in the Central African Republic with serious concern," said Martin Nesirky, a UN spokesperson, at a daily briefing.
"We are calling on both the government and the rebels to focus on dialogue that can avert violence and lead to a peaceful resolution and respect for the Libreville Comprehensive Peace Agreement," he said.
The 2008 Libreville Comprehensive Peace Agreement was signed by the government and the three main rebel groups and helped bring an end to conflicts inside the CAR.
Nesirky's remark coincided with the UN Secretary-General Ban Ki- moon and the UN Security Council's statements on the CAR last week.
The Security Council's statement called on "all parties to refrain from any acts of violence against civilians, respect human rights and seek a peaceful solution by engaging constructively in the regional effort led by the Economic Community of the Central African States (ECCAS)."
Nesirky noted that the UN welcomes "regional efforts to seek a political solution and to reinforce security" in the tumultuous nation, that has been plagued with violence for over a decade.
The spokesperson also added that, as a security precaution, UN international staff have now all been temporarily relocated outside of CAR while the UN continues to "follow the situation in the Central African Republic with serious concern."
According to Nesirky, Margaret Vogt, the UN Secretary-General's Special Representative and head of the UN Integrated Peacebuilding Office in CAR (BINUCA), has remained in close dialogue with the key parties in the CAR and the region and has offered support to political negotiations.
As rebels move swiftly in its southward push and are about to approach the capital Bangui, the resource-rich but impoverished country is facing the biggest security challenge since forming a government in January 2009 after an inclusive political dialogue.
On Wednesday, unconfirmed figures from the rebels obtained by Xinhua showed that within the last three days of fighting, over 100 people, including 93 officers of the regular army and 12 people among the rebels, have died.