TUNIS, Oct. 13 (Xinhua) -- The United States officially requested Tunisian authorities on Saturday to bring to justice the perpetrators of last month's attack on the U.S. embassy in Tunis, Shems FM reported.
In a letter due to be published on Sunday by the Tunisian media, U.S. Ambassador in Tunis Jacob Walles calls on the Tunisian government to bring the attackers to justice.
"It is the duty of the Tunisian government to ensure the security of its citizens and its guests," Walles said, adding that the damage caused to the embassy is estimated at 2 million U.S. dollars.
The U.S. ambassador also said the attack would not put in question the long-standing political and economic ties between the two countries, adding that bilateral cooperation will continue in the future, according to the radio.
Almost 100 people were arrested following the attack. According to their lawyers, some of the defendants face death penalty.