Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: Iran   Shinzo Abe   Assange   Gun control   US Election   

Kenyan police yet to arrest suspect behind twin blasts in Nairobi

English.news.cn   2012-10-13 21:34:31            

NAIROBI, Oct. 13 (Xinhua) -- Kenyan police said are yet to arrest suspect behind the twin explosions which were hurled in a Nairobi residential estate on Friday night.

Regional police commander Moses Ombati also confirmed a senior police officer and his junior were wounded on Friday in twin explosions. "We have not arrested anyone yet in connection to the Friday evening explosions. You know these terrorists plant and leave the devices which later explode after they have gone. But investigations is underway to establish the type of device which was used," Ombati told Xinhua by telephone on Saturday.

Residents said the victims had gathered at the scene after the first blast in Mlango Kubwa in Eastleigh but were injured in a second blast that took place at the same spot later.

"The OSC (Officer Commanding Police Station) was telling the people who had gathered at the scene after the first explosion to move behind the police vehicle to avoid the scene of the incident but immediately when people started moving away, the second blast went off, injuring the officer," Jane Muthoni who was at the scene said on Saturday. Ombati said they discovered later that another police officer was also wounded. The police have always warned the public not go near the explosion scenes since it was Al-Shabaab new tactics of luring crowds before carrying out a secondary or major blast. "We did not know that another officer was injured on Friday evening until later into the night when we discovered this. The number of police officers injured in the attack is now two and both are responding well to the treatment," Ombati said. He said the initial reports established that the explosives were Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) and were detonated by remote control, possibly using mobile phones. Other witnesses said the first explosion was heard from garbage and as the police rushed to the scene to check what it was, the second one went off injuring the senior officer.

"When I heard the loud bang I thought it was a gas cylinder which had exploded. But before I could rush out, the second one went off. I decided to remain in the house since I knew Al-Shabaab may have been behind it," said Augustine Omondi who resides in Eastleigh estate. Ombati said they are yet to know the cause of the incident, saying bomb experts were still piercing together details that may unravel the exact device which was used. Nyakwama said security had been stepped up and appealed to city residents to be extra vigilant and take security measures seriously, regardless of their status in society. The police now believe terror suspects would not operate freely unless permitted by their local host communities and have appealed to the public to report suspicious looking people to them for action.

Editor: Yang Lina
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top World News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>