BRUSSELS, Oct. 1 (Xinhua) -- NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen acknowledged on Monday that a string of insider attacks in Afghanistan have undermined trust between foreign troops and their Afghan counterparts.
"No doubt, these insider attacks have undermined trust and confidence," Rasmussen said at his monthly press conference.
"We sent trainers to Afghanistan to help the Afghan security forces and then Afghan soldiers or policemen turned their weapons against the trainers. People cannot understand that, including our trainers," he added.
The NATO chief said the alliance had taken and would continue to take "preventive measures" to avoid such attacks, which have killed around 51 NATO troops so far this year.
In addition, Rasmussen said the ongoing transition process in Afghanistan, which is scheduled to be finished by the end of 2014, would not be disrupted.
Rasmussen said he expected NATO defense ministers to approve "the broad framework" for NATO's mission in Afghanistan beyond 2014 when they meet next week in Brussels.
"From 2015, it (NATO's current mission) will be followed by a NATO-led mission to train, advise and assist Afghan security forces. My goal is for us to agree on a detailed outline early next year, and to finalise the plan well before the end of 2013. This will give us the time we need to make sure the transition to the new mission is seamless," he said.