NIAMEY, Sept. 1 (Xinhua) -- Up to 400,000 people have fallen victim to the recent floods caused by heavy rains in Niger, according to the latest official report.
"The figure includes all those who were left homeless as well as those who reported loss of property due to the heavy rains," Nigerien Prime Minister Brigi Rafini said on Friday.
A number of the victims who were left homeless are currently taking shelter in schools or with host families.
A previous report showed that more than 15,000 houses had been destroyed and about 50 people killed in the floods, which also ruined hundreds of hectares of rice fields in the land-locked West African country.
The deluge is most devastating in the regions of Tillaberi, Dosso and Tahoua. The communication channels of some localities have been damaged, making movement practically impossible.
The prime minister said fund-raising activities were under way nationwide for at least 400 million FCFA (less than 1 million U. S. dollars) in aid to victims, adding the international community had promised support.
The West African Economic and Monetary Union (UEMOA) has announced a contribution of 300 million FCFA to help the Nigerien flood victims. Nigeria, France and some other countries have also pledged aid.