BOGOTA, Aug. 16 (Xinhua) -- Colombian oil firm Ecopetrol said Thursday it discovered oil and gas with U.S. joint-venture partners in the Gulf of Mexico.
The partially state-owned company said it discovered evidence of gas, liquid gas and crude oil at its Parmer Well No. 1, located in the Gulf of Mexico's Green Canyon block, at a depth of some 5,400 meters.
"The Parmer project ... covers an area of about 23.3 square kilometers and is located some 230 kilometers off the coast of Louisiana," it said in a statement.
"Over the next few months, the exploration partners will review a 3D seismic study and map out a development plan" for the well, in which the Colombian firm has a 30 percent stake. The remaining 70 percent is in the hands of its U.S. partner Stone Energy and Apache.
Ecopetrol said the discovery was part of its globalization strategy and a step toward its goal of increasing reserves and daily oil output to one million barrels of clean oil by 2015.