KUNDUZ, Afghanistan, Aug. 14 (Xinhua) -- At least 15 people were killed and 30 others injured in an explosion in Dashti Archi district in northern Afghan province of Kunduz Tuesday evening, an official said.
"The blast occurred at around 7 p.m. local time in the main square in Dashti Archi district. As a result 15 people were killed and 30 others injured so far, as we know," administrative chief of the district Shaikh Dadruddin told Xinhua.
He said most victims were civilians and the death toll could rise.
The injured were sent to a district hospital and the area is cordoned off by the security forces.
The nature of the blast is not clear so far. However, a resident told Xinhua that an explosive-laden motorbike was detonated in the main bazaar in the district.
No group claimed responsibly for the attack so far.
Violence has been on the rise since Taliban launched an annual spring offensive on May 3.
Up to 28 people were killed and over 100 others injured when a group of suicide bombers and gunmen launched a coordinated attack in southwestern Nimroz province earlier Tuesday.