COLOMBO, June 8 (Xinhua) -- Sri Lanka's post-war tourism boom could be short lived if the industry does not expand and upgrade itself quickly, an industry expert said here Friday.
The government has set a target of 2.5 million tourist arrivals by 2015 but stakeholders believe that the sector is not expanding fast enough to absorb such high numbers, said industry expert Sampath Siriwardena, who is also general manager of Galadari,a top hotel in Colombo titled.
"The industry as a whole is not ready to achieve this target. There are many areas that need intervention and focus. Besides, at the present level, there is a possibility of the country out- pricing itself from the market as well," he said.
Siriwardena urged the government to establish training facilities around the country, especially in rural areas, to promote high service standards.
He noted that with global players such as Shangri-la, Sheraton and Sun City entering the market there was the danger that local employment opportunities would be taken by foreigners to maintain the high standards of international companies.
Since 2009 hotels have to adhere to a minimum room price, which Siriwardena said has caused Sri Lanka to lose competitiveness in the regional market.
Earlier this year the government called on the industry to increase investment in hotel construction as hotel rooms are insufficient for the projected 1 million arrivals.