Home Page | Photos | Video | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: Putin   Hollande   French election   Syria   Taliban   

Extremist group claims responsibility for latest deadly bombings in Syrian capital

English.news.cn   2012-05-12 19:09:46            
 • An al-Qaida-inspired group has claimed responsibility for Thursday's twin bombings in Damascus.
 • The group said the attacks came in response to "the regime's ongoing shelling on the residential areas".
 • Two suicide bombers blew themselves up Thursday, leaving destruction and more than 55 people.

SYRIA-DAMASCUS-EXPLOSION 

The wreckage of a truck is seen after an explosion in Damascus, Syria, May 10, 2012.(Xinhua/Jiang Tieying) 

DAMASCUS, May 12 (Xinhua) -- An al-Qaida-inspired group calling itself al-Nusra Front to Protect the Levant has claimed responsibility for Thursday's twin suicide bombings in the Syrian capital of Damascus that left 55 people killed and more than 370 others wounded.

In an online video, the group claimed that their attacks came in response to "the regime's ongoing shelling on the residential areas in Damascus' suburbs, Idlib and Hama provinces."

"We have fulfilled our promise," the group said.

The authenticity of the online footage could not be independently checked, but the group has previously claimed responsibilities for bombings in several Syrian areas.

Two suicide bombers blew themselves up Thursday before a security complex in Damascus, leaving destruction and more than 55 people, mostly civilians, killed.

On Friday, the Syrian authorities thwarted a suicide bombing attempt in the northern Aleppo province. Officials said had the operation succeeded, hundreds of people would have been killed.

Many observers have agreed that al-Qaida fighters have infiltrated Syria to exploit the crisis in the unrest-ridden country.

Related:

Twin suicide bombings in Syrian capital kill at least 55

DAMASCUS, May 10 (Xinhua) -- The Syrian Interior Ministry said Thursday that the death toll of the blasts that rocked the capital Damascus earlier in the day has climbed to 55, adding that 373 people, including military personnel, were wounded.

The ministry meanwhile said that there were as many as 15 bags of unidentified human parts.  Full story

Ongoing bombings in Syria push UN peace plan to verge of breaking down

DAMASCUS, May 10 (Xinhua) -- At least 55 people were killed and 370 others wounded when twin suicide bombings shook an intelligence complex in the Syrian capital of Damascus on Thursday, the latest in a string of bombings that has been pushing the UN- backed peace plan in Syria to the verge of breaking down.

The Syrian interior ministry said in a statement that the bombings were caused by two explosive-laden vehicles, driven by suicide bombers. Full story

Special Report: Syrian Situation

 

Editor: Chen Zhi
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular We Recommend  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
  Top World News  >>
  Special Reports  >>