Home Page | Photos | Video | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
World
Most Searched: Putin   Hollande   French election   Syria   Taliban   

Syrian candidate says parliamentary elections marred with violations

English.news.cn   2012-05-09 20:49:49            

DAMASCUS, May 9 (Xinhua) -- A Syrian candidate running in the parliamentary elections said Wednesday that there have been numerous violations in the polls held on Monday.

"Several infractions" were filed at balloting booths on Monday, as representatives of the candidates were banned from supervising the elections, Qadri Jamil, head of the National Front for Change and Liberation and a parliament candidate said at a press conference held in Damascus.

On Monday, Syrians cast ballots and chose from more than 7,000 candidates vying for the 250-seat parliament. However, four polling stations had to re-opened on Tuesday and Wednesday for re- casting due to the "violations" that occurred in the voting process.

Jamil's front ran independently for the elections with its own lists that included six candidates in Damascus, including Jamil himself.

The elections were marked with boycott by some opposition parties inside Syria, which said the polls were "designed by security forces to suit the current regime."

"We had badly wanted the elections to be a starting point for the political process in the country and to be conducive to the launch of the hoped-for national dialogue," Jamil said.

"The elections weren't easy and there were many difficulties," he said, adding that "such elections in such way will not make a real parliament and would further enrage the crisis," he said, stressing that Syria's electoral system should be radically changed.

Despite criticism, the Syrian government deems the elections as a big step in the process of reform promised by the embattled government. The results of the elections are expected to be announced on Wednesday evening.

Related:

Roadside bomb explodes near UN convoy in southern Syria, injuring 8

DAMASCUS, May 9 (Xinhua) -- A roadside bomb went off Wednesday close to the passage of a convoy of UN observers heading to Syrian 's southern province of Daraa, injuring eight accompanying security personnel, including a first lieutenant, witnesses and media said.

The bomb was detonated at the Othman area en route to Daraa. So far, there has been no reports of casualties among the observers.  Full story

Annan's spokesman confirms bomb explosion near UN observers

GENEVA, May 9 (Xinhua) -- A roadside bomb exploded Wednesday in the vicinity of the UN observers' convoy heading to the southern Syrian province of Daraa, the UN-Arab League joint envoy Kofi Annan's spokesman confirmed Wednesday.

There were no casualties among the observers, but several Syrian soldiers were injured and taken to hospital, said Ahmad Fawzi in a statement. Full story

Explosive goes off in Damascus suburb

DAMASCUS, May 9 (Xinhua) -- An explosive device went off in the Damascus suburb of Jaramana on Wednesday, witnesses and media reports said.

Residents of Jaramana told Xinhua they heard sounds of massive blast there. Full story

Special Report: Syrian Situation

Editor: An
分享
Related News
Home >> World            
Most Popular We Recommend  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
  Top World News  >>
  Special Reports  >>