DAMASCUS, April 21 (Xinhua) -- An explosive device, attached to a car, went off on Saturday near a security detachment in al- Mazzeh neighborhood in the Syrian capital of Damascus, causing no casualties, a pro-government news website reported.
The explosion took place also near the military airport in Mazzeh, the report said, adding that the bomb was discovered by security members before it went off and was remotely detonated, causing only martial losses.
Also, the pro-government al-Ekhbaria TV denied reports circulated on some Arab TVs that heavy gunshots were heard at the military airport.
A day earlier, the authorities managed to dismantle another explosive device that was attacked to a car also in al-Mazzeh neighborhood, the report said. However, there was no immediate word from official on the circumstances of the incident.
The Syrian government has blamed the year-long crisis in Syria on armed groups working out a foreign conspiracy.
The UN estimated that more than 9,000 people have so far been killed in the Syrian conflict, including at least 500 children, while Syria says 6,044 have died, including 2,566 soldiers and police.
Related:
UN observers arrive in rebellious Homs in central Syria
DAMASCUS, April 21 (Xinhua) -- The advance team of UN observers tasked by the UN Security Council to monitor the implementation of a full cessation of armed violence in Syria, visited the central province of Homs on Saturday, state-run SANA news agency reported. Full story
UN Security Council to vote on Syria draft resolution on Saturday morning
UNITED NATIONS, April 20 (Xinhua) -- The UN Security Council is expected to meet on Saturday morning to vote on a draft resolution that would expand the number of UN ceasefire observers in Syria to 300, diplomats said here Friday. Full story
Special Report: Syrian Situation
