BEIJING, Oct. 28 (Xinhuanet) -- The Japanese government has overturned a move by Okinawa's governor to stop work on a new US base.
The decision marks the latest chapter in a long-running battle over the controversial plan to move American troops stationed on Japan's southernmost island chain.
The proposal to relocate the Futenma air base has become the focus of anger among locals. Previously this month, outspoken Okinawa governor Takeshi Onaga revoked approval for construction work.
But earlier today, Japan's Land and Infrastructure minister, Keiichi Ishii, said that the cabinet had decided to nullify the decision.
The comments were backed up by government spokesman Yoshihide Suga, who said that moves to halt the project had been without merit.
Both Tokyo and Washington have repeatedly backed the plan to relocate the base, with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe insisting it is "the only solution".
The government's decision to over-rule Onaga is set to inflame tensions between Tokyo and Okinawa, which plays hosts to more than half of the 47,000 American military personnel stationed in Japan.
(Source: CNTV.com)










