Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
Most Searched: Refugee  V-Day parade  World War II  AIIB  South China Sea  

Obama pledges probe of deadly air strike on Afghan hospital

English.news.cn   2015-10-04 20:12:49

BEIJING, Oct. 4 (Xinhuanet) -- US President Barack Obama has pledged a full investigation into an apparent US air strike on a hospital in the northern Afghan city of Kunduz. The attack killed 19 people and injured 37 others.

Doctors Without Borders says 12 staff members and at least 7 patients, including three children, were killed in Saturday's strike. The charity says patients were burned to death in their beds during the bombing raid that continued for half an hour after US and Afghan authorities were informed that the hospital had been hit. The UN says the strike could amount to a war crime.

The air strike came days after Taliban fighters seized control of the strategic northern city of Kunduz in their biggest victory since 2001. Afghanistan's defence ministry says a group of armed terrorists were using the hospital as a position to target Afghan forces and civilians. But Doctors Without Borders denies that any combatants were in the hospital.  (Source: cntv.cn)

Editor: Hou Qiang
Related News
           
Photos  >>
Video  >>
  Special Reports  >>
Xinhuanet

Obama pledges probe of deadly air strike on Afghan hospital

English.news.cn 2015-10-04 20:12:49

BEIJING, Oct. 4 (Xinhuanet) -- US President Barack Obama has pledged a full investigation into an apparent US air strike on a hospital in the northern Afghan city of Kunduz. The attack killed 19 people and injured 37 others.

Doctors Without Borders says 12 staff members and at least 7 patients, including three children, were killed in Saturday's strike. The charity says patients were burned to death in their beds during the bombing raid that continued for half an hour after US and Afghan authorities were informed that the hospital had been hit. The UN says the strike could amount to a war crime.

The air strike came days after Taliban fighters seized control of the strategic northern city of Kunduz in their biggest victory since 2001. Afghanistan's defence ministry says a group of armed terrorists were using the hospital as a position to target Afghan forces and civilians. But Doctors Without Borders denies that any combatants were in the hospital.  (Source: cntv.cn)

[Editor: Tang Danlu]
010020070750000000000000011100001346839811