Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
Most Searched: Refugee  V-Day parade  World War II  AIIB  South China Sea  

Okinawa chief to rescind U.S. base relocation

English.news.cn   2015-09-15 11:25:34

BEIJING, Sept. 15 (Xinhuanet) -- In Japan, the governor of Okinawa prefecture says he is working on withdrawing permission for construction at the site of where a new U.S. air base is to be built.

"Today, we began the process of interviewing various involved parties in order to revoke the approval to reclaim the under-water area planned for the Henoko new base relocation," he said.

Japan's central government has resumed work to relocate the controversial U.S. marine Futenma base in Japan's southern-most prefecture.

That's despite mounting opposition from local officials and residents. Strong opposition forced Tokyo to suspend the program for a month.

But a fifth round of talks between Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Okinawa governor Takeshi Onaga fell apart last week and work has now resumed.

Abe insists the base should be moved to a less-populated area of Okinawa, but residents say it should be moved off the island altogether.

(Source: CNTV.cn)

Editor: Yamei Wang
Related News
           
Photos  >>
Video  >>
  Special Reports  >>
Xinhuanet

Okinawa chief to rescind U.S. base relocation

English.news.cn 2015-09-15 11:25:34

BEIJING, Sept. 15 (Xinhuanet) -- In Japan, the governor of Okinawa prefecture says he is working on withdrawing permission for construction at the site of where a new U.S. air base is to be built.

"Today, we began the process of interviewing various involved parties in order to revoke the approval to reclaim the under-water area planned for the Henoko new base relocation," he said.

Japan's central government has resumed work to relocate the controversial U.S. marine Futenma base in Japan's southern-most prefecture.

That's despite mounting opposition from local officials and residents. Strong opposition forced Tokyo to suspend the program for a month.

But a fifth round of talks between Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Okinawa governor Takeshi Onaga fell apart last week and work has now resumed.

Abe insists the base should be moved to a less-populated area of Okinawa, but residents say it should be moved off the island altogether.

(Source: CNTV.cn)

[Editor: Yamei Wang]
010020070750000000000000011103261346253411