Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
Most Searched: South China Sea  MERS  FIFA  AIIB  Cannes  

Memorial services mark one-year anniversary of MH17 disaster

English.news.cn   2015-07-18 10:49:35

BEIJING, July 18 (Xinhuanet) – Memorial services are being held to mark the first anniversary of the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17. All 298 people on board died in the crash over Ukraine last year. A ceremony is being held close to the crash site in eastern Ukraine.

There are also services in Kiev and the Netherlands, where most of the passengers were from. Australia has already held its memorial. On Friday, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko called it a "moral duty" to punish those responsible.

Tears are shed, and wreaths are laid in memory of those that were killed exactly a year ago today. In Canberra, the names of all 39 Australians killed in the crash are etched on this plaque in the gardens of Parliament House.It's set in soil brought back from the crash site.

Tony Abbott, Australian Prime Minister said:"So today we remember our dead, we thank those who brought them home but most of all we acknowledge the suffering of the bereaved to acknowledge your tragedy. "

In Kiev, Ukrainian and Dutch officials honoured the dead in a ceremony outside the Dutch embassy.

"I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude for the love and compassion that Ukrainian people and Ukrainian parliament have shown over the whole year but also in particular today," said Kees Klompenhouwer, Dutch Ambassador to Ukraine.

It's still not clear exactly what happened or who was responsible. Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop says the global community is determined to bring the perpetrators to justice. The Malaysian government has asked the United Nations Security Council to set up an international tribunal for prosecution.

Najib Razak, Malaysian Prime Minister said:"We call on all nations concerned to provide the fullest cooperation, so that we will be able to gather irrefutable evidence as to what happened and especially as to who will be responsible for this unforgivable incident."

The Boeing 777 was en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur when it crashed on the 17th of July last year. Ukraine says anti-Kiev rebels shot down the plane as it flew over rebel-held territory in Donetsk. Russia and the rebels deny the claims, blaming the Ukrainian government for the air disaster.

(Source: CNTV)

Editor: Tang Danlu
Related News
           
Photos  >>
Video  >>
  Special Reports  >>
Xinhuanet

Memorial services mark one-year anniversary of MH17 disaster

English.news.cn 2015-07-18 10:49:35

BEIJING, July 18 (Xinhuanet) – Memorial services are being held to mark the first anniversary of the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17. All 298 people on board died in the crash over Ukraine last year. A ceremony is being held close to the crash site in eastern Ukraine.

There are also services in Kiev and the Netherlands, where most of the passengers were from. Australia has already held its memorial. On Friday, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko called it a "moral duty" to punish those responsible.

Tears are shed, and wreaths are laid in memory of those that were killed exactly a year ago today. In Canberra, the names of all 39 Australians killed in the crash are etched on this plaque in the gardens of Parliament House.It's set in soil brought back from the crash site.

Tony Abbott, Australian Prime Minister said:"So today we remember our dead, we thank those who brought them home but most of all we acknowledge the suffering of the bereaved to acknowledge your tragedy. "

In Kiev, Ukrainian and Dutch officials honoured the dead in a ceremony outside the Dutch embassy.

"I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude for the love and compassion that Ukrainian people and Ukrainian parliament have shown over the whole year but also in particular today," said Kees Klompenhouwer, Dutch Ambassador to Ukraine.

It's still not clear exactly what happened or who was responsible. Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop says the global community is determined to bring the perpetrators to justice. The Malaysian government has asked the United Nations Security Council to set up an international tribunal for prosecution.

Najib Razak, Malaysian Prime Minister said:"We call on all nations concerned to provide the fullest cooperation, so that we will be able to gather irrefutable evidence as to what happened and especially as to who will be responsible for this unforgivable incident."

The Boeing 777 was en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur when it crashed on the 17th of July last year. Ukraine says anti-Kiev rebels shot down the plane as it flew over rebel-held territory in Donetsk. Russia and the rebels deny the claims, blaming the Ukrainian government for the air disaster.

(Source: CNTV)

[Editor: Tang Danlu]
010020070750000000000000011108951344238771