BEIJING, July 19 (Xinhuanet) -- Iranian media Press TV is reporting that world powers have agreed to unfreeze 2.8 billion US dollars of Iran’s frozen assets over the next four months.
Iran’s senior nuclear negotiator Abbas Araqchi said the money would be deposited into Iran’s account in six instalments. Araqchi said four 500-million-dollars and two 400-million-dollars tranches would be paid at three-week intervals beginning on August the 1st.
In exchange, Iran will convert its 20-percent-enriched uranium, already oxidized under the Geneva interim deal, to fuel for nuclear reactors. Under the deal clinched in Geneva last November, Iran was granted access to 4.2 billion dollars in past oil revenues from India and other countries.
An estimated 100 billion dollars in payments for Iranian oil purchases have been blocked due to US sanctions over Iran’s nuclear program. Earlier in the day, EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said in Vienna that Iranian nuclear talks will be extended for another four months till November the 24th as stakeholders still have "significant gaps on core issues."
(Source: CNTV.cn)
