By CCTV correspondent Jessica Rowe
BEIJING, Jan. 11 (Xinhuanet) --Talks between Iran and the European Union have ended in Geneva over the implementation of a landmark nuclear deal reached last November. According to Iranian officials, an agreement over outstanding issues has been made. But the EU and the US say talks are ongoing despite the progress made.
After two days of talks in Geneva, Iran’s deputy foreign minister said all the outstanding political and technical issues have been resolved.
"We have very intensified negotiations yesterday and today. they were very constructive....the question is we have to take these solutions to the capitals for final confirmation." said Abbas Araqchi, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister.
He said he was optimistic and the implementation of the deal will take place after consultations with the capitals of Iran and the six major powers.
"In about ten days, if everything is OK, it go into effect in ten days, but the decision will be announced perhaps tomorrow, the day after tomorrow." said Abbas Araqchi, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister.
The Geneva deal was designed to halt Iran’s nuclear advances for six months to buy time for negotiations on a final settlement. China, the US, Russia, France, Britain and Germany agreed to ease some economic sanctions, in return for Iran pledging to curb its most sensitive nuclear activity. The EU has been overseeing contacts between the six powers and Iran related to the nuclear standoff.
After Friday’s meeting, the EU said that Deputy Secretary General Helga Schmid ARAGHCHI have made "very good progress". The EU added, however, that any agreements have to be validated by the governments of Iran and the six world powers.
Meanwhile, the US also said that technical talks on Iran’s nuclear program have made good progress. But it noted that reports that a deal had been finalized were inaccurate, saying talks are ongoing at this point.
(Source: CNTV.cn)
