Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
Video
Most Searched: ADIZ  Lunar probe  DPRK   Mandela  Mars  

12 Chinese workers rescued from crossfire in S. Sudan

English.news.cn   2013-12-20 10:13:25            

BEIJING, Dec. 20 (Xinhuanet) -- 12 Chinese workers trapped in a crossfire in South Sudan have been successfully rescued as violence continued following an alleged coup attempt on Sunday.

The Chinese Foreign ministry and embassy in South Sudan have been closely monitoring the situation since the conflict broke out. On December 17th, China learnt that 12 Chinese workers had been trapped by a crossfire in a sand field near the capital. After learning of this, Ambassador Ma Qiang immediately informed the South Sudanese Interior Minister and asked for their support in rescuing the trapped workers. Under joint effort of the embassy and South Sudanese Interior Ministry, 12 Chinese workers were successfully rescued the same day." said Hua Chunying, Spokesperson, Chinese Foreign Ministry.

In another development, the United States ordered its citizens to leave South Sudan immediately while the UK sent a plane to evacuate its nationals. South Sudan’s military has said it no longer controls Bor, a key town in a rural state after fighting spread there. Unrest started on Sunday after the government said it had put down an attempted coup by soldiers loyal to a former deputy president. The UN said on Wednesday at least 19 civilians have been killed in violence in Bor, and tensions were also on the rise in the states of Unity and Upper Nile.

Authorities said at least 500 people, most of them soldiers, have been killed in violence in the country since the alleged coup attempt. Up to 700 have been wounded. Around 20,000 people are seeking refuge at UN facilities in the capital city of Juba, where they are being provided with medical assistance.

(Source: CNTV.cn)

Related:

China vows to protect nationals in South Sudan

BEIJING, Dec. 19 (Xinhua) -- China will take all necessary measures to protect the safety of its nationals and organizations in South Sudan, a Chinese spokeswoman said on Thursday.

Spokeswoman Hua Chunying made the remarks at a regular press briefing when asked to give information on Chinese rescue work amid clashes in South Sudan.  Full story

Editor: Yang Lina
分享
Related News
Home >> Video            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Top Video News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011108171329831511