BEIJING, Aug. 7 (Xinhuanet) -- Syrian Information Minister Omran al-Zoubi has said the bomb blast caused heavy damage to the building and there were many light injuries among the employees. Some of them have also allegedly received threats from the opposition. But, despite the damage, Syrian state TV is continuing to broadcast.
The latest explosion in the Syrian capital.Monday’s blast occurred on the third floor of the Syrian state TV’s headquarters. Offices were damaged, as well as cameras and equipment.But even after the explosion, the station remained on the air. In the hours after the blast, they delivered news that the country’s prime minister had been fired.
Maan Saleh, director of Syrian State TV, said, "Our transmission did not stop for one second. We call it "the screen of the nation" and it will remain so."
Staff at the station say they have received threats from opposition groups. But they are determined to continue doing their jobs.
Essam Dali, staff member of Syrian State TV, said, "I believe all my colleagues here feel the same as I do. We are not fearful at all, because we are walking on the correct path. We’re reporting the truth to Syrians and Arabians."
The investigation into the bombing is still on going and there’s been a lot of speculation.
Some staff there say the attack was quite similar to the one that hit the country’s security headquarters on July 18th. Many suspect an inside-job, as heavily guarded government buildings are tough for outsiders to infiltrate.
Meanwhile, Information Minister Omran al-Zoubi says foreign powers are behind the attack, blaming Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Israel for the bombing.