MADRID, Aug. 29 (Xinhua) -- Xabi Alonso said 'goodbye' to Real Madrid in a press conference on Friday after the confirmation of his transfer to Bayern Munich.
The 32-year-old leaves the club after joining in 2009 at the end of a week which also saw him announce his international retirement.
The former Real Sociedad and Liverpool player said leaving Real Madrid was the "hardest decision," he had needed to make in his career, but after helping the team win the 10th Champions League title in their history last season, he said it was, the right moment."
He insisted his decision had nothing to do with the arrival of German midfielder Tony Kroos and the decision taken by coach Carlo Ancelotti to leave him out of the side which kicked off the BBVA Primera Liga with a stuttering win at home to Cordoba.
"After winning the 'Decima' the club is starting a new cycle and I feel that to be at my best, I need a change. Real Madrid have made a great decision to sign Tony Kroos, but my decision to leave comes from further back," he said, turning his attention to the prospect of working with Barca boss, Pep Guardiola.
Alonso said the fractious matches between Real Madrid and Barcelona when Guardiola had been in charge were in the past.
"I have had the chance to work with some great coaches; Carlo Ancelotti, Jose Mourinho and Manuel Pellegrini, this is another opportunity. The ambition at Bayern Munich is the same as at Madrid; to fight for and try to win everything. That is why I like my new adventure," he concluded.
Alonso's departure leaves the side with only the inexperienced Asier Illaramendi and Sami Khedira, who is in the last year of his contract to cover Alonso's former role, but he insisted Real Madrid midfield was well covered despite his departure.