RIO DE JANEIRO, Aug. 26 (Xinhua) -- Palmeiras have aborted their bid to sign Ronaldinho after contract talks broke down over the playmaker's salary demands, the Brazilian club said Tuesday.
The Sao Paulo outfit had been favorites to secure the 34-year-old, who has been without a club since leaving Atletico Mineiro by mutual consent in July.
"Negotiations have definitively ended tonight due to the fact we could not reach a financial agreement," Palmeiras said on its official Twitter page.
Ronaldinho had reportedly sought a monthly salary in excess of 90,000 U.S. dollars, 15 percent of gate receipts and half of income from sponsors signed after his arrival.
Tuesday's announcement is expected to rekindle interest from other suitors, whose bids were pushed to the background by the advanced stage of talks between Palmeiras and Ronaldinho's representatives.
Other clubs linked to the two-time FIFA World Player of the Year are Santos, New York Red Bulls, Fluminense, Besiktas, Queens Park Rangers and Boca Juniors.
Ronaldinho joined Atletico Mineiro in June 2012 after an unhappy spell with Rio de Janeiro giants Flamengo.
The next 12 months were regarded by many as the attacker's best period since his Barcelona peak in the mid-2000s.
But his form waned this year and he was substituted early in the second half of Atletico's 4-3 victory over Argentina's Lanus on July 23.
The victory, which earned Atletico the Recopa Sudamerica trophy, was Ronaldinho's last match for the Belo Horizonte club.