MADRID, July 31 (Xinhua) -- Spanish tennis star, Rafael Nadal will miss the next two Masters 1000 series events through injury.
The World No. 2, who has been staying on the island of Mallorca, where he was born, has announced he has been forced to withdraw from the tournaments in Toronto and Cincinnati as the result of an injury to his right wrist.
"Unfortunately I injured my right wrist on Tuesday during a training session. After the tests, which included a magnetic scan and after talking to the doctors, I will have to be out of competition for two or three weeks," said Nadal on the official website of the Cincinnati tournament.
The Spaniard won both tournaments last year as he bounced back to form after struggling with a knee problem and expressed his regret at not competing this year.
"I am very disappointed at not being able to defend my titles and compete in Toronto and Cincinnati, my aim was to return and to play again after the great results last year," he said.
Nadal's injury will seriously affect his hard-court preparation ahead of the US Open, the fourth and final Grand Slam event of the season, which starts on August 25.
Last season saw Nadal win the US title by defeating the current World No. 1, Novak Djokovic in the final
Meanwhile the fact he will not defend the 2,000 world ranking points on offer in Cincinnati and Toronto will make it difficult for him to overtake Djokovic in the world rankings.