RIO DE JANEIRO, May 27 (Xinhua) -- Julio Cesar says Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari has taken a "risk" by choosing him as the team's first-choice goalkeeper for the World Cup.
The 34-year-old endured a frustrating 2013-14 season, joining Toronto FC on loan in February after losing his first-team place at Queens Park Rangers in England's second tier. Despite his struggles, Cesar has been guaranteed a berth in the Selecao's starting lineup by Scolari, who has made clear his wish to maintain the team that won last year's Confederations Cup.
"I realize they are taking a risk but I will repay their faith. They can believe in me," Cesar said during a press conference at the team's Granja Comary training base, near Rio de Janeiro. Botafogo captain Jefferson is likely provide Cesar's strongest competition while Atletico Mineiro's Victor is also in Scolari's 23-man squad.
Cesar, who was widely criticized for failing to make a crucial clearance in Brazil's quarterfinal defeat to the Netherlands at the 2010 World Cup, says he is now a better player. Even so, the former Inter Milan stopper is not taking his spot for granted.
"To be honest I don't consider myself a certain starter," Cesar said. "I am much more focused now than in 2010, due to everything that has happened: the loss against the Netherlands, the problems at Inter Milan and later at Queens Park Rangers.
"Personally, I don't feel like I'm under pressure but I know that people are questioning me."
Having lost his spot in the national team under Mano Menezes, Cesar concedes he would not be at the World Cup if not for the faith shown in him by Scolari. He is determined not to let the 65-year-old down.
"I'm better prepared for this World Cup," Cesar said. "In 2010 people said I was the best goalkeeper in the world and I was very confident. That worked against me. Sometimes too much confidence can be a bad thing. I am a lot stronger now."
Brazil will begin their World Cup campaign against Croatia in Sao Paulo on June 12.