MADRID, May 21 (Xinhua) -- Luis Enrique signed his two-year contract as the new coach of FC Barcelona on Wednesday and gave his first press conference in which he promised he would work hard and ensure his players did the same.
The 44-year-old, who spent eight years as a Barca player and was also a successful coach of the club's B-team, was announced as the replacement for Gerardo 'Tata' Martino on Monday.
"This is a very special day. We are beginning the building of a new, exciting Barca," said Luis Enrique, who coached Celta Vigo this season.
Celta played attacking football as they finished in a creditable mid-table position and Luis Enrique said there would be no change to that as he looks to bring back the aggressive touch football which has made Barca so famous.
"My team will attack, we'll play attractive and effective football, the kind of football that millions across the world have come to love," he commented, adding that Barca would also need to defend well
"I'll be discussing my plans with the players and talking to them," he said, saying that although he would expect hard work, something that was rumored to be lacking during Martino's season in charge, he would not be a dictatorial coach.
"I don't think I'll need to and bark out orders, we're in this together, though I'll be demanding hard work.
"I'll be looking for plenty of hunger from the players and they'll have to show me that every day," continued the coach.
One player who has been questioned for poor recent performances is Leo Messi, who was even booed during Barca's 1-1 draw at home to Atletico Madrid on Saturday.
"I am delighted to be able to have the best player in the world in the squad and the club thinks the same, because they've just given him a new contact. His form wasn't at its best last season, but we hope to be able to get the best out of him again. He is a unique player and vital," said Luis Enrique.
Meanwhile as Luis Enrique arrived, two coaches were departing from their clubs. Juan Ignacio Martinez paid the price for overseeing Valladolid's relegation to the second division with the sack, while Xavi Gracia, who had been offered the chance to continue, left Osasuna, who were also relegated.