RIO DE JANEIRO, Feb. 4 (Xinhua) -- Reigning Brazilian top-flight champions Cruzeiro have denied reports they are interested in signing Corinthians striker Alexandre Pato.
Cruzeiro president Gilvan Tavares said Tuesday that the speculation about a bid for the 24-year-old is unfounded despite the club's dearth of attacking stocks.
"Somebody is telling the media this to create some sort of pressure," Tavares said. "We are not negotiating, nor are we thinking of signing him.Our squad is finalized and there is no possibility of bringing in Pato."
Cruzeiro last week sold striker Vinicius Araujo, to Valencia while veteran centre-forward Borges is currently out with a thigh injury.
Despite earning an international recall for Brazil last September, Pato has endured a torrid time since joining Corinthians from AC Milan in January 2013.
He scored just nine goals from 30 league matches last season and has been the target of jeers by Corinthians fans.