RIO DE JANEIRO, Feb. 18 (Xinhua) -- Rio de Janeiro's state government insists Maracana Stadium remains on target to be ready for June's FIFA Confederations Cup, despite a workers strike that threatens further delays to the venue's 450 million US-dollar revamp.
Construction work was halted on Monday as employees demanded higher wages, meal vouchers and private health insurance for their families.
The iconic arena, which is undergoing its first major facelift since hosting the 1950 World Cup final, was originally scheduled to be ready by December last year.
World football's governing body FIFA has twice granted deadline extensions for the venue's completion but last month warned the current April 15 cut-off date is final.
"This is a normal conflict between an employer and its employees. They are negotiating several matters," Rio's home secretary Regis Fichtner said.
"Today the work stopped and I hope that tomorrow they will be back on the site. I think common sense will prevail and that there will be no delay to the working schedule."
Rio de Janeiro's heavy industry workers union warned the 24-hour paralysis could be extended if workers' demands were not immediately met.
"This is a warning for the construction consortium," union director Wagner Antunes Siqueira said.
"We are going to wait for negotiations on Friday. If there is no agreement, we will hold an assembly to vote on an indefinite strike."
The stadium's project developer, Consorcio Maracana Rio 2014, has increased staff in recent weeks and scheduled three round-the-clock shifts as the FIFA deadline approaches.
Of the six venues selected to host Confederations Cup matches, only Fortaleza's Castelao and Belo Horizonte's Mineirao are ready.
The Confederations Cup will be held from June 15-30, featuring each of the FIFA's six continental champions, host nation Brazil and European Championship runners-up Italy.