BEIJING, July 25 (Xinhuanet) -- The Internet search engine operator Google came under fire from EU about its handling of "right to be forgotten" requests, according to media reports on Friday.
EU regulators met with executives from Google, Yahoo and Microsoft, which operate the Bing search engine, to discuss the implementation of the “right to be forgotten” ruling on Thursday in Brussels.
Google has been questioned by the EU regulators at the meeting for restricting removal of links to European sites only.
The regulators says if Google decided to remove search results only from its European search engines such as google.co.uk, anyone can still easily access the same information by switching to the widely used google.com.
The search engine operators were also asked to provide more information by the end of the month on their implementation of the ruling, the source who was present at Thursday’s meeting said.
In May, the European Union's top court ruled that European citizens have a right to request that “inadequate”, “irrelevant” or “no longer relevant” information should be removed from Internet search results.
As an action taken on EU’s removal request, Google has constructed an online application system which allows individuals to apply for the removal of links. Google has so far approved more than half of roughly 90,000 incoming requests, and rejected about 30 percent of them, a source close to the company said.
Google declined to comment on the details of Thursday’s meeting. In an email response to a media inquiry last month, the California-based Internet search colossus said it will continue to work with data protection authorities to refine processes and standards regarding what information about people merits removal and which deserves to remain in the best interests of the public.