Xinhuanet

Pentagon says 5,500 U.S. troops in Afghanistan beyond 2016 "enough"

English.news.cn 2015-10-16 07:59:27

U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter speaks during a briefing at the Pentagon in Washington D.C., capital of the United States, Oct. 15, 2015.

U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter speaks during a briefing at the Pentagon in Washington D.C., capital of the United States, Oct. 15, 2015. The Pentagon said on Thursday keeping 5,500 U.S. troops in Afghanistan into 2017 would be enough, as U.S. President Barack Obama broke his promise to bring all U.S. troops home before leaving office. (Xinhua/Bao Dandan)

WASHINGTON, Oct. 15 (Xinhua) -- The Pentagon said on Thursday keeping 5,500 U.S. troops in Afghanistan into 2017 would be enough, as U.S. President Barack Obama broke his promise to bring all U.S. troops home before leaving office.

"We do look at it as enough. We did a lot of homework on this," said U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter at a briefing.

"We are adjusting our presence based on conditions on the ground to give the United States and our allies the capability to sustain a robust counterterrorism platform, denying a safe haven for terrorists and violent extremist organizations."

Obama announced plans Thursday to keep 5,500 U.S. troops in Afghanistan into 2017, and to maintain the current 9,800 forces through "most of 2016."

Calling the new plan "modest but meaningful," Obama said the U.S. troops in Afghanistan will remain focused on training Afghans and counterterrorism operations against remnants of al-Qaida.

Echoing Obama, Carter said counterterrorism would be a part of the "enduring mission" in Afghanistan.

"Whatever it takes to protect our country and make sure that Afghanistan doesn't again become a platform from which terrorism arises," said Carter.

Obama had previously planed to reduce the current level of 9,800 U.S. troops in Afghanistan to around 5,500 by the end of 2015 and withdraw all troops by the end of 2016 when Obama's presidency comes to an end.

Earlier this year, after a meeting with visiting Afghan President Ghani here, Obama announced no reduction of the current 9,800 U.S. troops stationed in Afghanistan will occur through the end of 2015.

   1 2 3 4 5 6 >>  

[Editor: xuxin]
 
Pentagon says 5,500 U.S. troops in Afghanistan beyond 2016 "enough"
                 English.news.cn | 2015-10-16 07:59:27 | Editor: xuxin

U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter speaks during a briefing at the Pentagon in Washington D.C., capital of the United States, Oct. 15, 2015.

U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter speaks during a briefing at the Pentagon in Washington D.C., capital of the United States, Oct. 15, 2015. The Pentagon said on Thursday keeping 5,500 U.S. troops in Afghanistan into 2017 would be enough, as U.S. President Barack Obama broke his promise to bring all U.S. troops home before leaving office. (Xinhua/Bao Dandan)

WASHINGTON, Oct. 15 (Xinhua) -- The Pentagon said on Thursday keeping 5,500 U.S. troops in Afghanistan into 2017 would be enough, as U.S. President Barack Obama broke his promise to bring all U.S. troops home before leaving office.

"We do look at it as enough. We did a lot of homework on this," said U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter at a briefing.

"We are adjusting our presence based on conditions on the ground to give the United States and our allies the capability to sustain a robust counterterrorism platform, denying a safe haven for terrorists and violent extremist organizations."

Obama announced plans Thursday to keep 5,500 U.S. troops in Afghanistan into 2017, and to maintain the current 9,800 forces through "most of 2016."

Calling the new plan "modest but meaningful," Obama said the U.S. troops in Afghanistan will remain focused on training Afghans and counterterrorism operations against remnants of al-Qaida.

Echoing Obama, Carter said counterterrorism would be a part of the "enduring mission" in Afghanistan.

"Whatever it takes to protect our country and make sure that Afghanistan doesn't again become a platform from which terrorism arises," said Carter.

Obama had previously planed to reduce the current level of 9,800 U.S. troops in Afghanistan to around 5,500 by the end of 2015 and withdraw all troops by the end of 2016 when Obama's presidency comes to an end.

Earlier this year, after a meeting with visiting Afghan President Ghani here, Obama announced no reduction of the current 9,800 U.S. troops stationed in Afghanistan will occur through the end of 2015.

   1 2 3 4 5 6   

分享
Aftermath of conflict between Afghan security forces and Taliban
Afghan forces recapture Kunduz city, Taliban retreats
MSF repeats call for impartial investigation on air strike against hospital in Afghan Kunduz city
Clash leaves 70 Taliban dead in eastern Afghan province
UN chief deeply saddened by killing of Afghan UN staff member
China, Mongolia kick off joint anti-terrorism training
China, Mongolia kick off joint anti-terrorism training
Premier urges deeper reforms, new engines
Premier urges deeper reforms, new engines
Chinese premier meets president of Croatia on bilateral cooperation
Chinese premier meets president of Croatia on bilateral cooperation
China, Bangladesh pledge to strengthen parliamentary cooperation
China, Bangladesh pledge to strengthen parliamentary cooperation
Pentagon says 5,500 U.S. troops in Afghanistan beyond 2016 "enough"
Pentagon says 5,500 U.S. troops in Afghanistan beyond 2016 "enough"
Egypt's coming parliament unlikely to affect Sisi's previous laws
Egypt's coming parliament unlikely to affect Sisi's previous laws
5 countries elected as non-permanent members of UN Security Council
5 countries elected as non-permanent members of UN Security Council
Chilean protesters ask gov't to accept demands in education reforms
Chilean protesters ask gov't to accept demands in education reforms
Back to Top Close
010020070750000000000000011100001347185231