Xinhuanet

U.S. commander in Afghanistan proposes change in withdrawal plan

English.news.cn 2015-10-07 08:15:01

U.S.-WASHINGTON D.C.-AFGHANISTAN-MILITARY-WITHDRAWAL PLAN

Commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan John Campbell testifies during a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington D.C.,the United States on Oct. 6, 2015. Commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan John Campbell said on Tuesday he had recommended changes to U.S. military withdrawal plan in Afghanistan to U.S. President Barack Obama. (Xinhua/Yin Bogu)

WASHINGTON, Oct. 6 (Xinhua) -- Commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan John Campbell said on Tuesday he had recommended changes to U.S. military withdrawal plan in Afghanistan to U.S. President Barack Obama.

Noting that conditions on the ground had changed since mid-2014 when the current drawdown timeline was created, including the emergence of a new Afghan government and insurgence of the extremist group Islamic State, Campbell told U.S. lawmakers Tuesday the White House should consider backing off its plan to pull all U.S. troops out by the end of 2016.

"I put forward recommendations to adjust this new environment, while addressing our core missions ... and conduct(ing) counterterrorism operations to protect the homeland," said Campbell at a congressional hearing.

Though Afghan forces had fought well this year, the recent Taliban takeover of the important city of Kunduz in northern Afghanistan highlighted shortcomings of Afghan forces, said Campbell.

"They (Afghan forces) must improve their intelligence fusion, command and control, utilization of their forces. They don't possess the necessary combat power and numbers to protect every part of the country," said Campbell.

Campbell also said Afghan President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani had asked both NATO and the United States to "provide some flexibility" in planning troops withdrawal.

Obama had previously planed to reduce the current level of 9,800 U.S. troops in Afghanistan to around 5,500 by the end of 2015 and withdraw all troops by the end of 2016 when Obama's presidency comes to an end.

Earlier this year, after a meeting with visiting Afghan President Ghani here, Obama announced no reduction of the current 9,800 U.S. troops stationed in Afghanistan will occur through the end of 2015. Enditem

   1 2 3 4 >>  

[Editor: xuxin]
 
U.S. commander in Afghanistan proposes change in withdrawal plan
                 English.news.cn | 2015-10-07 08:15:01 | Editor: xuxin

U.S.-WASHINGTON D.C.-AFGHANISTAN-MILITARY-WITHDRAWAL PLAN

Commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan John Campbell testifies during a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington D.C.,the United States on Oct. 6, 2015. Commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan John Campbell said on Tuesday he had recommended changes to U.S. military withdrawal plan in Afghanistan to U.S. President Barack Obama. (Xinhua/Yin Bogu)

WASHINGTON, Oct. 6 (Xinhua) -- Commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan John Campbell said on Tuesday he had recommended changes to U.S. military withdrawal plan in Afghanistan to U.S. President Barack Obama.

Noting that conditions on the ground had changed since mid-2014 when the current drawdown timeline was created, including the emergence of a new Afghan government and insurgence of the extremist group Islamic State, Campbell told U.S. lawmakers Tuesday the White House should consider backing off its plan to pull all U.S. troops out by the end of 2016.

"I put forward recommendations to adjust this new environment, while addressing our core missions ... and conduct(ing) counterterrorism operations to protect the homeland," said Campbell at a congressional hearing.

Though Afghan forces had fought well this year, the recent Taliban takeover of the important city of Kunduz in northern Afghanistan highlighted shortcomings of Afghan forces, said Campbell.

"They (Afghan forces) must improve their intelligence fusion, command and control, utilization of their forces. They don't possess the necessary combat power and numbers to protect every part of the country," said Campbell.

Campbell also said Afghan President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani had asked both NATO and the United States to "provide some flexibility" in planning troops withdrawal.

Obama had previously planed to reduce the current level of 9,800 U.S. troops in Afghanistan to around 5,500 by the end of 2015 and withdraw all troops by the end of 2016 when Obama's presidency comes to an end.

Earlier this year, after a meeting with visiting Afghan President Ghani here, Obama announced no reduction of the current 9,800 U.S. troops stationed in Afghanistan will occur through the end of 2015. Enditem

   1 2 3 4   

分享
U.S. military commander admits Afghan hospital "mistakenly struck" by airstrike
Afghan forces reopen supplying road linking Baghlan to Kunduz
Afghan forces kill 7 militants, reopen supplying road to Kunduz
Pentagon says Afghans ask for airstrikes in Kunduz that kills 22 civilians
Afghan forces recapture Kunduz, hoist government flag
Chinese trade minister attends press conference of G20 meeting in Istanbul
Chinese trade minister attends press conference of G20 meeting in Istanbul
Aerial photos of Shanghai Pilot FTZ
Aerial photos of Shanghai Pilot FTZ
China sees travel rush as National Day holidays draw to end
China sees travel rush as National Day holidays draw to end
China sees record number of tourists during Golden Week
China sees record number of tourists during Golden Week
U.S. commander in Afghanistan proposes change in withdrawal plan
U.S. commander in Afghanistan proposes change in withdrawal plan
Egypt's Mubarak supporters celebrate 42nd anniv. of October War
Egypt's Mubarak supporters celebrate 42nd anniv. of October War
Hundreds of Tunisian pilgrims return home after Hajj rituals
Hundreds of Tunisian pilgrims return home after Hajj rituals
Demonstrators protest against soda and tobacco industries in Mexico
Demonstrators protest against soda and tobacco industries in Mexico
Back to Top Close
010020070750000000000000011100001346884711