MONROVIA, Nov. 4 (Xinhua) -- Health authorities in Liberia said Tuesday that the country had seen falling new Ebola infections in recent weeks, cautioning against complacency despite the turnaround.
Tolbert Nyenswah, Liberian assistant minister of health, reported the progress at a meeting on the latest development in the fight against the Ebola epidemic, according to a presidential statement reaching Xinhua in Monrovia, the capital city.
Nyenswah, also the head of the Incidence Management System, stressed that there should be no complacency in observing preventive measures, as one infected person or dead body can trigger a chain of transmission that could spread throughout an entire community.
During the meeting, President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf and the heads of both Houses of the National Legislature pledged to further their consultations with various stakeholders, including international partners, about the continued existence of the State of Emergency which expires on Nov. 12.
The Liberian leader commended international partners, health workers and all Liberians for their contributions to the ongoing fight to eradicate the Ebola disease from the country.
The World Health Organization said in its latest release that 4, 951 people had died from Ebola in eight countries and there had been a total of 13,567 reported cases by Oct. 29, with Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone among the hardest-hit nations.
