Home Page | Photos | Video | Forum | Most Popular | Special Reports | Biz China Weekly
Make Us Your Home Page
Health
Most Searched: Ebola  Organ donation  flu season  water supply  H7N9   

No confirmed Ebola cases in U.S., Philippines: WHO

English.news.cn   2014-08-06 11:06:45

GENEVA, Aug. 5 (Xinhua) -- The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday that neither the United States nor the Philippines have reported confirmed Ebola cases.

WHO spokesman Gregory Hartl said the organization had "not got any information about confirmed Ebola cases" from the two countries, though he noted there had been panic triggered in many countries due to rumors of the virus' presence.

The Philippine Department of Health said Friday that it was monitoring seven Filipino workers who had returned from Ebola-stricken Sierra Leone, while a patient at a New York City hospital had been isolated and was undergoing medical tests.

The man, who had recently traveled to West Africa, was stable and unlikely to have Ebola, the hospital said.

The current Ebola outbreak, the largest in the nearly 40-year history of the virus, has affected 1,603 and killed 887 people this year in four Western African countries -- Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone, according to the WHO.

Ebola, which spreads through body fluid or secretions such as faeces, urine, saliva and semen, can kill up to 90 percent of those infected. The fatality rate of the current epidemic is about 60 percent.

Related:

WHO to convene emergency meeting on Ebola

UNITED NATIONS, Aug. 5 (Xinhua) -- The United Nations health agency will convene a two-day meeting of its emergency committee starting Wednesday to discuss the current Ebola outbreak in West Africa, a UN spokeswoman said here on Tuesday.

"According to the World Health Organization (WHO), as of 1 August, the number of Ebola cases stands at 1,603, including 887 deaths, in four countries: Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone," UN Associate Spokesperson Vannina Maestracci said at a daily briefing. Full story

Second American with Ebola back in U.S. for treatment

WASHINGTON, Aug. 5 (Xinhua) -- The second American aid worker diagnosed with Ebola in West Africa was brought back to the United States Tuesday for treatment. Nancy Writebol arrived in a private plane equipped with a unique containment unit at Dobbins Air Force Base near Atlanta Tuesday morning.

The 59-year-old missionary from North Carolina was then transported by ambulance to Atlanta's Emory University Hospital, where she joined her colleague Dr. Kent Brantly in a special isolation unit to receive treatment. Full story

Editor: An
分享
Related News
Home >> Health            
Most Popular English Forum  
Top News  >>
Photos  >>
Video  >>
Top Health News Latest News  
  Special Reports  >>
010020070750000000000000011106041335358331