Graphics shows the death toll of novel coronavirus to nine, WHO said on March 12, 2013. (Xinhua/Zheng Yue)
GENEVA, March 12 (Xinhua) -- The Ministry of Health of Saudi Arabia has informed the World Health Organization (WHO) of another death of confirmed novel coronavirus infection, bringing the death toll of the virus to nine, WHO said Tuesday.
The patient, a 39-year-old male, developed symptoms on Feb. 24 and died on March 2. Preliminary investigation indicated that the patient had no contact with previously reported cases of novel coronavirus infection, WHO said in its latest disease outbreak update.
To date, WHO has been informed of a global total of 15 confirmed cases of human infection with the new coronavirus, including nine deaths. Of the total number, eight cases, including six deaths, have been reported from Saudi Arabia.
WHO encouraged all member states to continue their surveillance for severe acute respiratory infections (SARI) and to carefully review any unusual patterns.
WHO said that it is currently working with international experts and countries where cases have been reported to assess the situation and review recommendations for surveillance and monitoring.