MANILA, Sept. 9 (Xinhua) -- A 63-year old woman allegedly died of meningococcemia in northern Philippine province of Occidental Mindoro, which prompted health authorities to place under quarantine some 30 families, who could have contacted with the victim, a senior government official said on Sunday.
National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) executive director Benito Ramos said certain Gloria Sumayang in Lumangbayan village in Abra de Ilog town developed the signs and symptoms of upper respiratory tract infection and suffered fever for about a week and rashes a day before she was admitted to the hospital early last week.
"Initial differential diagnosis to consider was Kawasaki disease," but other symptoms showed that Sumayang may have been struck by meningococcemia, he said.
A day after the victim was brought to the hospital, she succumbed to her illness, Ramos added.
With the incident, he said, the 30 families where Sumayang hailed have been placed under quarantine and under observation by the Municipal Health Office, he said.
The victim was immediately buried in the public cemetery to avoid further spread of infection, he added.